Tuesday, September 24, 2019

A Weekend of Listening...

Hello Readers!

It's Cab again! It's been a crazy couple of days, for sure! When I started this project, I had one child with DIPG in mind: Parker. The muse that started this whole adventure. But, the more I started writing, the more I began to realize that there are so many kids dealing with this every single year, and I would be remiss to forget about them. So, I started, kinda delicately, contacting people on facebook who had similar pages to Parker. I just wanted to see if there was interest, and there was!

I met an incredible Mom, Danielle, who is the mother of Drake, a little boy from Louisiana. I met her before Drake lost his battle, and I was overcome with the family's strength and energy. When Drake died, I wasn't sure if they wanted to be a part of the show anymore, but boy was I wrong! Danielle has been a force in getting me connected to families. It's been so moving to meet every single new family!

Over this past weekend, I have met 10 new families. Every single one of them has their own story and I love learning about their kids. It makes the project that more important and valuable to both my kids and I. I feel their energy, thoughts and power behind every move that my actors are making. They are breathing life into this show in ways I never expected.

It's been a blessing.

A job that an actor forgets about sometimes is the job of listening. I talk to my students about this all the time. YOU MUST LISTEN. Don't enter on the stage with your line ready to go without really listening. I don't care how many times you have run the show. If the actor you are sharing energy with changes that energy, you must adapt. That's human nature and that is true acting.

So, I had to listen this weekend. I had to let the stories wash over me.

And I was blessed by it.

We're going to keep listening, and then we're going to keep fighting.

Thank you to all,

-Cab

No comments:

Post a Comment